- Threshold approach. Can a threshold (specific to each decision) be used to clarify the meaning of NNT?
- In a decision model comparing two options, which has several variables, a threshold can be found on any of those variables.
- Earlier examples of thresholds.
- Treatment threshold on probability a patient has disease, in combination with sensitivity and specificity of a diagnostic test, yield No test/Test and Test/Treat thresholds for pretest probability (Pauker and Kassirer, 1980; extended to two dichotomous tests by Hershey and colleagues, 1986).
- Treatment threshold on utility of the bad outcome, in combination with sensitivity and specificity of a diagnostic test and pretest probability, yield No-test/Test and Test/Treat thresholds for utility of the bad outcome (Nease and Bonduelle, 1987).
- Threshold on NNT was used to determine whether the studies in a meta-analysis equivocally or unequivocally support using a treatment (Guyatt et al, 1995).
- NNT threshold was defined by balancing costs of treatment with costs of, and WTP to avoid, both the bad outcome and adverse effects.